Hello. I am Huib Ernste and I am a professor of Geography at the Radboud Univeristy in Nijmegen. I am interested in the effects of borders (in the broadest sense) on regional planning developments. I am working on the fields of:
- regional planning developments and the people behind them (citizens, entrepreneurs and institutional actors);
- identity and significance of places and regions;
- European integration, internationalization, network society;
- theory-based policy evaluations and statistical analyses
I formulate my research questions on the basis of topical issues. How has 9/11 affected geopolitics? What effects did the introduction of the Euro have on the flow of goods and services? What are the advantages of living and doing business in a border region? What are the effects of paid parking on the choice of transport mode?
- 2010 – Member of the Academy for Spatial Research and Planning (ARL, Hanover) Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung (ARL), Leibniz-Forum für Raumwissenschaften
- 2001 – Member of the board of Netherlands Graduate School of Urban and Regional Research (NETHUR) Netherlands Graduate School of Urban and Regional Research (NETHUR)
- 2003 – Chair of the PhD Education commission of Netherlands Graduate School of Urban and Regional Research (NETHUR) Netherlands Graduate School of Urban and Regional Research (NETHUR)
I did my MSc. in Geography at the University of Groningen, the Netherlands. After my master graduation, I did my PhD in Natural Sciences Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ).
Nowadays I am a Guest Professor in Human Geography at the University of Utrecht, the Netherlands; the University of Salzburg, Austria; the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), USA; and the University of Münster, Germany.
I have more than 30 years experience in teaching research methods, both quantitative statistical methods as well as qualitative methods.
I have a beautiful 3-room appartment in Wiler (Lötschental) in Switzerland. You can book it via Lötschental.ch.