1963-1967: Elementary school in Doorn (NL).
1967-1969: Elementary school in Den Helder (NL).
1969-1972: Secondary school in Den Helder (NL).
1972-1973: American High school in Rome (I).
1973-1976: High school in Doetinchem (NL).
1976-1983: Study of social and economic geography, State University of Groningen (NL).
1980-1981: Guest-student at the Department of Geography of the University of Berne (CH).
1982-1983: Swiss Research Fellow at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich (CH).
1987: Ph.D. in Geography, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich (CH).
1987-2003: Several courses on quantitative research methods at the Zentral Archiv für empirische Sozialforschung, Cologne and the Zentrum für Umfragen Methoden und Analysen, Mannheim Federal Republic of Germany, the Essex Summer School in Social Science Data Analysis and Collection.
1987-… Several courses on communication techniques, communication and building trust, working group leadership, negotiating techniques, presentation techniques, building teams and working groups, didactical methods, PhD supervision.
1982-1987: Research Assistant at the Department of Geography of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
1987-1988: Head of the Research Project on Spatial and Economic Development of the City of Zurich
1987-1991: Head of the Research Team for economic Geography and Head of the Research Project on Flexible Specialisation in Switzerland
1991-1992: Expert on methodological issues and Statistical Analysis for the Research Project on Environmental Action under Conditions of Uncertainty.
1991-1996: Head of the Research Project on the Role of Trust and Co-operation in Regional Development and Environmental Action.
1993-1997: Member of the Board of Directors of the Department of Geography of the ETH.
1994-…: Cofounder of ‘Komma’ consultancy for communication management and policy execution, Zurich.
1997: Examinator at the School for Higher Education in Management and Administration (HWV), Lucerne in the field of Environmental Management.
1997: Guest Researcher at the Department of Environmental Studies of the Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands.
1997-1998: Guest Professor at the Department of Geography of the University of Salzburg, Austria.
1998: Visiting Professor at the Department of Urban Planning of the University of California in Los Angeles, USA
1998-2001: Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Human Geography, Faculty for Policy Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen.
1999-…: Member of the Board of the Netherlands Graduate School of Housing and Urban Research
2001-…: Full professor and Chair of the Department of Human Geography, Faculty for Management Sciences (formely Policy Sciences), Radboud University Nijmegen.
1999-2001: Co-ordinator of the Faculty Research Programme on Spatial and Environmental Issues.
2002-2005: Member of Scientific Advisory Board of Cicero, the centre for the learning and teaching of neighbouring languages in border regions, Maastricht.
2003-…: Chairman of the Education Commission of the Netherlands Graduate School of Housing and Urban Research.
2003-2004: Member of curriculum development commission for Research Master Programme of faculty of Management Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen.
2003-2007: Member of Advisory Commission for Programme development of curriculum and research of Graduate School of Education, University of Nijmegen
2003, 2004, 2007: Visiting Professor at the University of Münster, Germany in framework of exchange programme
2003-2007: Member of Steering Group of Euregio Study Programme (ESPRO) for developing a ‘Europe’ Master-programme, financed by the INTERREG programme.
2005-…: Member of Jury of Herta Macht Master Thesis Prize, Groningen.
2005-2006: Member of the College of Referees of Netherlands Organisation of Scientific Research (NWO)
2008-… Member of the curatorium of the Extra-ordinary Professorship in Educational Geography on behalf of the Koninklijk Nederlands Aardrijkskundig Genootschap (KNAG) [Royal Dutch Geographical Society]
2008-2017 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of ILS-Research (Research Institute for Regional and Urban Development), Dortmund, Germany.
2008-2012 Member of the European Working Group on Comparison of Spatial Planning Systems, of the Academy for Spatial Research and spatial Planning (ARL, Hanover).
2008-2011 Member of the ‘Landesarbeitsgemeinschaft (LAG) Nordrhein-Westfalen’, of the Academy for Spatial Research and spatial Planning (ARL, Hanover).
2008-2016 Chairman of the Dutch section of the International Geographical Union (IGU).
2009-2016 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Faculty for Management Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen.
2013-2014 Research platform coordinator of Institute for Management Research (IMR).
See Publications under the heading of ‘Research’ on this website.
Member of the Editorial Board of the Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie (TESG) Journal for Economic and Social Geography
- Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie (TESG) Journal for Economic and Social Geography
- Environment and Planning A
- Environment and Planning D: Society and Space
- Umweltforschung [Journal of Environmental Research]
- Geografiska Analer
- Political Geography
- Geographica Helvetica
- DisP – The Planning Review
- Landscape and Urban Planning
- Regional Studies
- Member of the Working Group for Structural Equation Modeling [Arbeitsgruppe Strukturgleichungsmodelle]
- Member of the Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung, ARL [German Academy for Spatial Research and Spatial Planning]
- Plessner Gesellschaft [Plessner Association]
External Referee for
- Schweizerischer Nationalfonds für Wissenschaftliche Forschung [Swiss National Research Foundation]
- Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (NWO) [Dutch National Research Foundation]
- University of Giessen (Researchers Prize)
- University of Vienna (Habilitation Procedure)
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne [Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne] (Professorship)
- Open University Milton Keynes (Lectureship)
- University of Dresden (Full professorship in Human Geography)
Member of Search and Selection Committees
- Koninklijk Nederlands Aardrijkskundig Genootschap (KNAG) [Royal Dutch Geographical Society] (Endowed Professorship in Educational Geography)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (Full Professorship in Spatial Planning, 2x)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (Endowed Professorship in Transport Research)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (Endowed Professorship in Euregional Management)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (Endowed Professorship in Migration and Development)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (Endowed Professorship in City Marketing)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (Two Assistant Professorships in human geography)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (several PhD and Postdoc positions)
- University of Amsterdam (Full Professorship in Political and Cultural Geography)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (Extraordinary Professorship in Governance of Safety)
- Wageningen University (Associate Professorship in Cultural Geography)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (Full Professorship Professor of Environment: Governance and Politics)
- Radboud University Nijmegen (Personal Professorship Political Geography and Geopolitics)